Our prestigious institution Sri Kannika Parameswari Higher Secondary School has successfully grown over 100 yrs and still continuing to grow for years to come with the abundant blessings of the Goddess Sri Kannika Parameswari and the support of Arya Vysya Community in Udumalpet. This is a brief introduction about the origin and history of this institution.
During the pre-independent days of India, it is known that there was a Telugu school established by the Arya Vysya community behind the Prasanna Vinayagar Temple. Chittoor Sri. Krishnan Chettiar was working as a Telugu teacher there. After he returned to his native, this honourable service was carried on by Udumalai Sri. Balavenkataram Chettiar.
In 1908, the elementary school was initiated Sri. V.R. Balasamy Chettiar. Further, in 1940 it was established as a primary school and classes were held in Sri Kannika Parameswari temple premises. Later, Sri. V.R.B. Gopal Rathna Gupta during his office tenure procured the lands that were north of Prasanna Vinayagar Temple from the municipality for the school establishment.
In 1962, Sri Kannika Parameswari school was registered. The first office bearers of the school were
- President : Sri. B. Muthugopal Chettiar
- Vice – President : Sri P.V. Navaneetha Krishnan Chettiar
- Vice – President : Sri. B. Soundaraja Krishnamoorthy Chettiar
- Secretary : Sri. R. Adinarayana Chettiar
- Treasurer: Sri K.E. Navaneetha Krishnan Chettiar
- Committee Members: Sri. R. Thukkaram Chettiar and Sri. V.B. Subramaniyam Chettiar
On 25/08/1962, the committee has been registered under 63/1962 Act in Coimbatore district. Later, the school has acquired the standards of a high school.
In 1957, a classical music event was presented by the divine Maestro, the ‘Nightingale’ of Carnatic music, Smt. M. S. Subbulakshmi as a fundraising event to construct the school infrastructure buildings. She even donated her reward money for the school’s welfare.
In 1967, with the help of Coimbatore Sri. P. A. Raju Chettiar, a theatrical dance performance was conducted by the veteran film actress Smt. Chandrakantha as fund raising event. She too donated the entire reward money for the welfare of the school.
In 1971, Sri. B. Soundararaj Krishnamoorthy Chettiar and Sri. V.R.B. Gopal Rathna Gupta established school laboratory buildings in the memory of their beloved mother Smt. V.R.B. Sampoornam Ammal.
In 1985, Udumalai Venkatesha Group of Companies head Sri. V. Kongusamy Naidu constructed an open air auditorium in the school premises.
In 2007, Sri Kannika Parameswari Educational association head, Dr. V. G. Mohan Prasad and his brother Dr. V. S. Rajendra Prasad offered 18 cents of land with buildings located near the school premises at a very low price. These buildings have been renovated by the school institution and used as indoor auditorium.
With the great support of the government, 5.2 acres of land belonging to the temple trust have been offered for the development and construction of the school playground and classes.
In 1962, primary school has been promoted to the educational status of high school. Since 1989, the school has been further upgraded to the status of higher secondary school and successfully functional from then.
In 1962 – 63, Sri. Seshadri Iyengar worked as the school headmaster for one year. Then, Sri. U. S. Dharman became the school headmaster and rendered his service for 30 years (1962 – 1993). He was awarded as the ‘Outstanding Teacher’ by the Tamil Nadu state government for his best educational service.
From 1993 to 2003, Sri. G. Subash Chandra Bose was the school headmaster and rendered his service for 10 years. He too has been awarded by the TamilNadu state government for his exemplary service towards education.
From 2003 to 2005, Sri. K. Jagannathan served as the school headmaster.
Since 2005, Sri. B. Ravindran took charge as the school headmaster and is awarded ‘Best Teacher for the year 2010 – 2011’ by the Tamil Nadu state government.